Church of Aghios Georgios - Dependency of the Osiou Grigoriou Monastery of Mount Athos
This small church is located opposite the western gate of the Rotonda enclosure and is a dependency of the Blessed Grigoris Monastery on Mt. Athos. It was to this church that the contents of the Rotonda were taken for safety when the latter was turned into a mosque and this is the reason why, after the liberation, the Rotonda was renamed Aghios Georgios.
A chapel of the Metropolitan of Thessaloniki until 1758, the church is a three-aisled basilica with an added space on the southern side, a result of the radical renovation completed in 1815. More recent interventions have altered both the exterior and the interior of the church.
Hours: Every day 7:00 - 12:00 and 17:00 - 19:00
Rules: No shorts or sleeveless shirts
Entrance fee: Free
Celebrates: 3rd November
Address: 4, Saint George's Rotunda, 54635 Thessaloniki
Directions -> How to get there