Church of Agios Panteleimon
The church of Agios Panteleimon- a masterpiece of the Byzantine art of the Macedonian School – (UNESCO World Heritage List) built in the early 14th century stands near the apse of Galerius and Agios Georgios (Rotunda). The church is identified with the Byzantine Monastery of Theotokos Peribleptos.
Architecturally, the church belongs to the type of complex. Four-columned, cross-in-square church with a dome and follows the architectural tradition of Constantinople. Initially, it possesses a portico on the three sides, part of which are the two chapels on the east.
Eternally the walls are decorated with various brick designs (ceramic decoration), an element that characterizes Byzantine architecture of the Palaeologan period (1261-1453).
From the initial wall paintings, which date from the 13th century, very few still survive at the prothesis, the diaconicon and the at chapels Theotokos Blachernae, saints and priests.
Interesting for the history of the church is the representation of Agios Iakovos Adelfotheos, a saint with the same name with the Metropolitan and founder to the church, at a distinguished location at the diaconicon with devout priests.
Source: Archdiocese of Athens