Church of Agios Nikolaos Orphanos
The church of Agios Nikolaos Orphanos is located at the district of Ano Poli Thessaloniki, near the eastern walls. It used to be the catholicon of a Monastery.
During its restoration in 1957 the true treasure of the church was revealed: the frescos. The marble chancel screen (templo) dates from the Paleologan era. The capitals come from an earlier edifice.
At the interior of the church the marble screen dates from the period the church was founded, while the capitals date from the Early Christian period.
The church’s excellent wall paintings are true masterpieces and are the best preserved compared with the ones in other churches of Thessaloniki. They date from 1310-1320 the Golden Age of Thessaloniki. Among them, apart the ones dealing with the life of Christ, His Crucifixion and His Resurrection. In the santctuary apse is pictured the Panagia Acheiropoietos with two angels, and below the infant Christ is a representation of the Melismos (the Eucharist), together with the co-officiating prelates. The fresco depicting the marriage in Cana is exceptionally impressive and particular interest are the themes of Akathist Hymn and the lives of Agios Nikolaos and Agios Gerasimos Ioardanitis.
Source: History of the City and the Municipality and Archdiocese of Athens