Monastery of Agia Anastasia Farmakolytria

The monastery of Agia Anastasia Farmakolytria (St Anastasia the Curer) stands near Vassilika of Thessaloniki, was founded in 888 by Augusta Theophano, under the Patriarchate of Photius the Great.

In 1522, the hieromonk Theonas with his companions re-established this Holy Monastery and became its Abbot. Later he was ordained Archbishop of Thessalonica, and had a holy ending, and the Church numbered him among the Saints. In the Holy Monastery are kept the sacred Head of St Anastasia and the whole relic of St Theonas, Abbot of the Monastery and Metropolitan of Thessalonica, Holy Wood, a gift of Augusta Theophano to the Monastery, and many other relics.

During the Turkish domination, the monastery owned many acres of land but it was destroyed and was rebuilt from scratch in 1830. Today, it belongs to the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople and honors St Anastasia on the 22nd of December.

photos by


Rules: No shorts or sleeveless shirts

Entrance fee: Free

Celebrates: 22nd December

Address: Holy Patriarchal and Stavropegic Monastery of the Holy Glorious Great-martyr Anastasia the Farmakolytria, 57006 Vasilika, Thessaloniki