Church of Agios Athanasios
The church of Agios Athanasios is located at the centre of the city, at the intersection of Egnatia and Socratous streets. We do not know if the present day church is built over the Byzantine church with the same name, which is mentioned in sources of the 14th century.
In 1817 the church was destroyed by a large fire. After its renovation, in 1818, it became parochial.
This is three-aisled basilica with gynaeconitis. At its interior there are a despotic throne and the pulpit. The screen is a modern one and replaced the older wood-carved one. To this they have placed the older icons of the 18th and the 19th century.
Source: ARCHDIOCESE OF ATHENS